THE SECRET PLACE is written solely by freelance writers, and anyone may submit original, unpublished meditations for consideration. Each submission should be typed (if possible) and contain:
- Your name, address, and phone number in the upper left-hand corner of each devotion
- A suggested Scripture passage to be read
- A title
- A “Thought for Today” -- usually a Scripture verse (cite full reference and Bible version) but may also be a pertinent thought. We use the New Revised Standard Version unless you specify otherwise.
- An original meditation of 150 to 200 words (excluding the Scripture, Thought for Today, and prayer) that relates to your Scripture reading and “Thought for Today.” (Do not quote other sources at length unless you include written permission to do so.)
- A brief concluding prayer.
- Your name, city, and state as you would like them to appear in print.
We are especially interested in devotional meditations that:
- Are original, creative, and spiritually insightful
- Are concise and focused on one theme
- Explore less familiar biblical passages and themes
- Address urban/suburban as well as rural/nature experiences
- Appeal to young adults as well as older adults
- Encourage outreach, mission, and service
- Are written by men as well as women, young adults as well as older adults
- Reflect racial and cultural diversity and use inclusive language
- We retain the right to edit submissions as necessary for clarity, brevity, and inclusivity of language.
- If making personal references please do not use actual names
- We work nine to twelve months ahead of schedule, so please plan any seasonal submissions accordingly.
- We pay $20 for each submission published and purchase first print rights to the use of original, unpublished material in The Secret Place and unlimited rights for use in related electronic material (www.judsonpress.com).
- Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your submissions (maximum six at a time) for their return if not accepted.
- E-mail devotions will be responded to via e-mail.
- Due to the volume of material we receive, we are unable to give updates on the status of individual submissions.
- If we are unable to use your submission, please allow one to two months for notification. Since we work well in advance, notification of publication may take as long as two years.
Thank you for contributing to this ministry through your support, submissions, and prayers.
Mail your submissions to Editor, THE SECRET PLACE, P. O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851 or e-mail them as individual attachments to TheSecretPlace@abc-usa.org. E-mail is the preferred method of submission.
NOTE: We no longer accept photography.
Your Street or Box Number
Your City, State, and Zip Code
Your Telephone Number
Isaiah 43:1-7 Promises, Promises
THOUGHT FOR TODAY: “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you.” Isaiah 43:2 (NIV)
Our now-healthy son, Jamie, was sent to Buffalo Children’s Hospital for tests as a baby. His muscular development was quite slow; we feared he had an incurable disease. One Christian assured us that he didn’t.
“How do you know?” we asked.
“Because I don’t think God would do that to you and Dave.”
I couldn’t share his view. God doesn’t promise to play favorites in the circumstances of our lives. While miracles do occur, the waters do not inevitably part for Christians. We get cancer and have car accidents, for it is the common lot of all people on earth to “pass through the waters” and “walk through the fire.” God says “when,” not “if.”
God does promise to his children certain benefits that nonbelievers cannot enjoy, however--benefits that make all the difference: the promise of his presence, the pledge to set limits to the trial, the assurance of sustaining grace, and finally, victory. God promises that one day we will have passed through all the waters, rivers, and fires and will end up safe on the other side. These are the promises we can count on.
PRAYER: Lord, help us not to presume upon promises you have not given but to put our absolute confidence in those you have; through Christ Jesus. Amen.
Your Name As You Want It to Appear--City, State